8.31.2009

big white whale

As my shift was coming to an end, my patient P. Eddie, who speaks fluent English, handed me a paper full of his handwriting, "I want you to have this," he said with a big smile. As I read his words, through his eyes, I was moved and encouraged. It reminded me of the hope, the love, the life that is here--something I've recently needed to hear. I was in awe of how God has revealed himself to P. Eddie through others. 
We may not be able to help everyone or save each struggling life, but God IS here. And I believe that, like P. Eddie, each patient who leaves this ship has encountered God in some way...
I asked him if I could make a copy and share it with others. I now share with you: 

"My appreciation to the staff and crew of the Mercy Ship"

Angels Among the Sons of Men

The day the Big White Whale landed on the black shores of Africa, was a blessed day to the Sons of Men.
It came with Angels to walk amongst the Sons of Men. Why do I call them Angels? Let me tell you of my time with them.
I came on board the White Whale with rooms filled with the lame, the mame, the formed and the deformed, the wrong and the right.
And deep into the darkest part of the night, I saw men and brethren, maidens and ladies though flesh as us, yet with hearts of angels.
Sleeplessly and tirelessly they toiled through the night, through the pains and aches of men. They with hands to heal and mend, bringing from above the Father's love to the Sons of Men.
Some they cut, some they tie, some they seal and yet others they fix with tools untold.
Like messengers of the most high they come not thinking of their own. They risked their lives and sailed the Sea to lands beyond the endless world to shores of men afflicted and in pain.
Their hearts and lives they came to share as Angels walk amongst the Sons of Men.
Some in this life are born to pass and some are born in life to live, yet these Angels are born to preserve humanity.
Though some lives they see as waste, yet with speed they move to save. With words of love and touch of peace, they endlessly toil to make right the wrong.
You were born as men to your lands and yet Angels you served the earth.
Gold is dug from earth beneath.  Treasures are hunted on high seas. But love so pure and true can only in hearts like yours be found.
You labor in the Lord shall not be in vain.
For every life you touch and every soul you save.
For every bone you mend and every face you straight, 
The Lord of life and light will light your path and guide your life.

For you are truly Angels amongst the Sons of Men. 

1 comment:

Crystal said...

That is so beautiful!!! What a blessing to receive this from him. You must have felt so appreciated and encouraged. Keep up your hard, beautiful work! You do indeed not labor in vain, PRAISE GOD~