9.01.2009

satisfaction

(warning: bodily functions mentioned ahead) :)

Yesterday was an especially good shift for a number of things. First of all we were short-staffed due to this very nasty bug that has been going around the ship that has been the culprit of sky-high sick calls these last couple weeks. This is not normally a good thing, nor am I implying that it was, but it made the shift extra busy. With a background in medical nursing, I thrive on the busyness, managing my time, prioritizing my duties and patients' needs, and the complexity of the patients' illness. Its not so much this way here. The patients we serve are here for their surgery and the majority are fairly healthy otherwise. They are alert and oriented (memory intact :), they can get out of bed themselves and walk independently to the bathroom. They swallow their pills without difficulty and sleep through the night...a nurse's dream job, really :)  

But, yesterday I felt a little more in my element and a little closer to the job I left back home. I was on the plastics ward, patients recovering from bone contracture release, commonly caused by a burn injury. Half my patients were on bedrest and two of them hadn't pooped in over four days (major concern when you're bedridden)!! They all laughed when I told them we were going to have a poop party today! So, I spent the day giving some serious bowel care, getting them on and off the bedpan, emptying urinals, sending two patients to surgery, and eyeing the first wound vac we've had here in the last 8 months I've been here. I got the two patients to poop and, with the help of my co-worker holding the child and a little prayer, I successfully drew blood on a little 3 year-old boy whose veins were a challenge!! Yes, its the simple things that make us nurses happy :) 

And I mustn't forget loveable Julian, the sweet 10 year-old boy who said my name every time I walked by his bed and gave me high-fives and a hug sneaked here and there. Or 2 year-old Naita who runs around squealing in delight with her contagious giggle wanting you to chase her around with one finger like a bumble bee, and then grabs your legs in a hug. And of course, squeezed in there, Julian's 3-month old baby brother who I snuggled and cooed in my arms. 

Yes, that is a successful day! :)

1 comment:

PapaMark said...

I love to read about your service! You guys do make my day many times. Know that we pray for you. God is in control!