6.27.2009

in charge

well, i have officially survived one week as a charge nurse--a total of seven shifts to date!! here are my thoughts so far... i like the new challenge and the added responsibility, a need i didn't realize was there. my responsibilities include allocating the patient assignments for the night shift and the following day shift. this can be tricky as i try to consider each nurses' experience and comfort level with the different types of patients we have, particularly pediatrics. this is taking the most time as i am still learning. i also update the database such as the patient census and unit report sheet, round with the physician, make calls to the physician when necessary, and be available as a resource for the nurses under my charge.  its more administrative than my experience back home as a charge nurse. it is a lot more evening shifts than i prefer too, being that Tim works during the day and has the evenings off. but overall, i think i am going to like it. 

one thing i've especially enjoyed these last couple shifts is my interaction with the little children on the ward. as an adult nurse, i am not typically given pediatric patients to care for, simply because of my lack of expertise and experience with them and my comfort level. but as a charge nurse i get to interact with them without the responsibility of nursing them!! the best end of the deal in my opinion!! :)  like when i was sitting at my little desk on the ward, this sweet 9-year old boy came up and sat right next to me. i set him up with a coloring book and crayons. he had a great time. and i of course enjoyed his company! the next day i was in charge of a different ward, which this last week has happened to be completely full of children all under the age of 3!! as i'm sitting at my desk working on my "paperwork," this little two-year old boy comes over to me, holding his arms up and crawling up onto my lap (now that is something i just can't refuse, no matter how much work i have to get done!) this particular boy, i learned, was here with his mom and twin sister. his twin sister was the patient, not him. she had been sick since birth, so mom devoted most of her time and attention caring for his sister. consequently, he has become this little boy who is starved for time, affection, and touch. he constantly wanted to climb on my lap, be held, or played with. don't get me wrong, his mom adores him. she's just had her hands full not only with two, but one very sick child. they were discharged today. now that his sister is getting better, i hope that with time his needs will be better met.

needless to say, i think i'm going to like this charge nurse role :)

No comments: