5.26.2009

hospitality center


The hospitality center was a local warehouse that Mercy Ships has converted into temporary housing for patients who have traveled far and are waiting for surgery.  Those from afar can also stay post-up for their return to the ship in the weeks ahead for follow-up appointments and dressing changes. For many, transportation is a huge barrier to surgery as well as returning for the necessary follow-up care. This facility houses 36 beds.
I visited the hospitality center one day and was so pleased to find a couple of my patients that I previously cared for on the wards!! What warmed my heart the most was that they both remembered me and greeted me so excitedly by name and big hugs!!  

Carole

Aboulaye
(He was one of the two guys I wrote about in a prior post that were so fun to joke around & laugh with on the ward.)



Yesterday I got to return.  This time I interacted with the ladies who having been staying here from up north, waiting  for VVF surgery (repair of vesico-vaginal fistula that leaves them leaking for life). Their surgeries will take place over these next two weeks.  I helped out with the pre-op screening by drawing each lady's blood. Before coming to Africa I'd never drawn blood.  Now, it is a skill I am mastering and enjoying (in a twisted sort-of way :)

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Thak you for giving us peeks into the ministry of Mercy Ships, I am living vicariously through you two : ) It is so neat to see you holding the children, God is so good!!!!! Love you both~ THe Bunch