1.27.2010

reflections

I've been thinking a bit lately on how this last year has changed me. The impact its made in my life, my heart, and in who I'm becoming.

The full impact is not completely clear. I don't think it will be until we leave the ship; until we leave Africa.

But, I've come up with a few...


My... dreams and goals are more global; capacity to love is greater; stereotypes challenged; and my weaknesses stronger through Christ in me.

I am... humbled by the generosity and sacrifice of others; in awe of God's power; more culturally-sensitive; and in love with a people halfway across the world!

----------
I have... gained a broader worldview/perspective; depended on God's strength; connected with another beyond the bonds of language; worked with and learned from others of many different nations; held and cuddled not one to many children; received cultural graces; walked a crying baby to sleep; experienced the joy and contentment in being in the Lord's will; and seen first-hand that we're all the same. We all need love and acceptance. We all want the best for our children.

----------
I have witnessed... a once detached mother bond with her child; God's healing power; a man grieve over his brother's unsuccessful surgery; a patient die alone because of family disownment; God's faithfulness; an ashamed and insecure woman become confident over time; hope restored in women who are dry for the first time in years; what it means to take care of your people; the value in community and relationships, and less in possessions; death because of lack in education of life-saving measures; a family transformed through death; spiritual warfare impede physical recovery; restoration of sight; a boy who once could only crawl, walk; the power of prayer; a malnourished baby gain weight; the value in perseverance; a mother's love; a father's love; and pure joy time and time again!


Lord, break my heart with what breaks yours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God richly bless you in this new year, Alexanders, and I look forward to seeing where God will lead you.

Your sharing makes a difference in my life. It is a privilege to pray for you.

Kathy in Bend

alexanders said...

Kathy, you are such a blessing to us through your encouraging words and faithful prayers! Thank you so much for walking this journey with us through your prayers.

Love, hannah & tim