3.27.2009

school for the deaf

Although surgery is the primary ministry of Mercy Ships, it is not limited to the walls of   the ship. Through Mercy Ministries, teams minister to the local community at off-ship sites such as a children's orphanage, a school for the deaf, and a psychiatric home for boys, as well as viewings of the Jesus film.
This morning I took the opportunity to go with a team to the government-run school for deaf children, one of the ministry sites off-ship. The team visits weekly and anyone can sign-up to go.  The children (6-10 yrs old) were excited at our visit and eager to interact with us.  We read to them the story of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" while another member signed. The story is about a caterpillar who is hungry for days, eating different foods until he ends up sick. A few days later he turns into a beautiful butterfly.  It was pretty cool to watch a room full of kids signing, laughing, and enjoying the story.  We related the story to our transformation in Christ and how God can take our ugly, sin-filled heart and turn it into beauty. We then gave them a cut-out of a butterfly for them to color and decorate as a reminder of how God can change them. 
This craft project was a challenge for them as they had to be patient with the limited supplies we had, and share. I found it refreshing and special to interact with them through my time and attention rather than my words--One, I did not need a translator to communicate that! :)  Two, for some of them, this school is where they get the most attention and interaction with others.
I'm so glad I changed my mind and got myself out of of bed this morning to go. Once again, I am the one blessed!  I look forward to visiting these beautiful and precious children again!

p.s  I would love to share pictures, but we did not bring cameras to respect and protect the children's dignity and privacy.
-h

1 comment:

Abdillas said...

I'm so glad that you got to leave the ship and interact with the people. I hope you have more opportunities for that.