2.02.2009

our time in Tenerife (warning: lots of pics)


We are presently surrounded by water!! Our view is the vast ocean. It is breathtakingly beautiful and quite peaceful. We have been sailing for two days now, our total sail time is said to be 9.5 days. We are expected to arrive in Benin on Feb 9th. Thank you all for your prayers! It has been a very smooth sail so far and neither Tim or I have gotten seasick--a huge praise because I get carsick at times, so was pretty worried about the possibility. God is good! However, its only been two days so please continue to pray. Ten days is a long time confined to a ship too :) 

At last we are headed to Africa and can't wait to get there! Tim is training for his role as Assistant Purser and is enjoying the position and learning the ropes. I am spending the week with all the other ward nurses in hospital orientation (policies/procedures, etc). Today I learned how to make friendship bracelets and later this week I will learn how to knit and crochet. Tough orientation, I know :) The idea is that we will be able to do these activities with our patients and its a way to connect with them. Here are just some of our pics of our time in Tenerife over the last few weeks, I wish I could post them all! ~

A group of us hiked to the top of Montana Roja our first weekend there.

Me & Allison out to lunch for tapas

Piled into one of the landrovers

Me & Rachel on the gangway

Tim at the beach

the crazy dining room crew :)

working hard :)

I loved the palm trees!

Tenerife has such beautiful beaches!



Debra, Steph, & Me at a cafe


Steph & Me

black sand beach


I loved this drink! A very Spanish drink--barroquito

Ikea in Tenerife--a big deal for us to get last minute items before 10 months away!

um, I think I'm a vegetarian now :)
Mt. Teido--It reminded us a lot of home... of central Oregon with its trees and sage brush.

Tenerife is a beautiful island! But just so you know, IT IS NOT SPAIN--as my twin sis always says, so this pic is for her! :) I found this on the side of the road---apparently she's not the only one that thinks that...


On a side note: Today, 5 years ago, Tim asked me to be his wife...I said "yes." :) One of the BEST decisions I ever made!!!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Hey you two you are looking good!!!! We will pray for no sea sickness. Praise God you have not been sick up to this point. Since you mentioned it, Tenerife is a province of Spain though, right? I can't wait to see your safe arrival in Benin!!! Love and miss you~ Crystal and The Bunch

Abdillas said...

On the last pic...you got it girl! :-) I find it actually hilarious that someone grafittied that.

The "patas" (pig legs) hanging may look gross, but are AMAZINGLY tasty....jamon serrano...nothing like it!!

Fun to see all the pics.