8.12.2011

touches of Africa

Its hard to believe we have been home three months now... Seriously?!! Close to 100 days. Wowza! :) The transition and adjustment has been slow; difficult in some ways. I'm not ready to write about it yet. Still processing... 2 1/2 years worth. That is A LOT. I will put some of it into words when I think I can do it without tears rolling down my face because of the overwhelming flood of sweet, sweet memories...

But one of the things that has helped ease it, is bringing a little bit of that dear continent into our home since moving back into our house and settling in. The memories... mental images... everything... I still think about EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I hope I always will. And I think having these added "touches" in our home will be simple reminders to the eye on a daily basis.

These are not just "souvenirs" from a memorable trip/vacation once taken that's now in the past. Nope, to us, these are our favorites from a place we once lived, breathed, and experienced for a short 2 1/2 years that will forever remain in our hearts...

Brought from Africa (Benin, Togo, South Africa, & Sierra Leone) to our home:

Ebony wooden elephant from S.L on our living room mantel.

I love Sierra Leone from Sierra Leone :),
Hand-painted card of the country of Benin from Benin :)
(From our window sill above the kitchen sink)

Photo I took from an outdoor restaurant in South Africa.
(Kitchen counter)

Safari pics I took in South Africa.
(Dining Room)

My fave!! The African woman/momma... from Benin.
(Hallway Wall)

Photos of coconut I took in Sierra Leone... love, love, LOVE :)
(Another wall in same hallway)

Table runner from scrap fabric leftover from a skirt I had made in Togo.
(it needs to be ironed) :)

Fabric from Benin to hopefully be made to cover these leopard throw pillows.
(Basement Family Room)

Photo I took from Togo's arrival ceremony. Words are from a friend :)
(Office desk)

Love design not from Africa, but I fell in-love with it when I saw it...
printed it and then framed it.
(Mudroom towards basement)


My "overnight bag," water bottle carrier, and coin/cellphone purse :)
(Mudroom)

... Thanking God for these treasures.

4 comments:

Cherished Children said...

Very special, indeed!

Video Zeum said...

Interesting website. Keep blogging!

mom said...

Oh, Hannah----I hear your heartbeat through the pictures!!!Mom

Tyrone said...

I love it...that's how Stephanie and I have decorated the house we bought! I have about 8 years with Mercy Ships and Stephanie had 2. Together we have so many pictures, gifts, fabrics, etc...from our travels we are incorporating them.

We (and you probably) have so many photo's we could probably montage the whole inside of the house!

Another idea is we used an ornate curtain rod on a blank wall in our living room to showcase/hang a large piece of fabric from West Africa with a Murial sewn on it that was given to Stephanie.