12.20.2010

my african name

Being in charge of "all things medical" for the advance work to the ship's arrival, I frequent the Ministry of Health at least once a week. :)

On this last week's visit I ended up waiting extra long for my appointment. I was chatting with Mariatou. We soon started talking about names. Mariatou asked me what my african name was. Being that I didn't have one, she spouted off different names for me. Since the meaning of the names are significant here, I asked her the meanings. I wanted to like the meaning of my name.

She replied, "Okay, your name is Rouba. It means blessing." That's it. LOVE, love, love it! :) As a nurse, my prayer has always been to be a blessing to my patients and their families.

I then asked her what her name is. "Sina, it means Twin." (because she's a twin). I of course piped that I'm a twin also. :)

So, now I have two names... Rouba-Sina.


I think they're pretty fitting. :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Aww! Love it! When I was in Ghana I was given the African name Amenuveve - it means grace. :) The daughter of the pastor we were staying with gave it to me - Also in love with it!