11.26.2010

Giving thanks

Thanks to our friends at the U.S. Embassy, we were invited to a Thanksgiving meal and celebration with local Peace Corps residents.

We were surprised at all the food! We may be in Africa, but that won't stop Americans from getting their turkey :) Not only was there a turkey, but THREE turkeys!!

We were blown away at their generosity and hospitality. This year we were not with our families (at home on the ship or at home in the states), yet we were surrounded by those who share a heart for the world outside of "the American dream."

Although we have only been here just over a month, we feel the strong sense of community here among the nationals and the ex-pats. People take care of each other here. They look after one another. So many we have met have connections with "this person" or "that person" who can help us with this or that. So quick to help.

I love that.









I am so thankful and blessed to live in Africa. Not many have this opportunity. Very few can quit their jobs, leave their home, and say good-bye to friends and family (who are supportive!). I have experienced so much in these last two years. All the things my eyes have seen and the emotions my heart has felt... all the memories created... I would not trade them for the world.


I may not have seen a paycheck or increased my bank account, but I have seen and experienced more than what money could ever buy and have increased my capacity to love. God is showing us and teaching us so much.




I am forever changed.



For this, I give thanks.

1 comment:

The Drey Family said...

Wow! I love reading your blog and I love hearing how much God is working out His will through your lives.It's so encouraging. That's so cool that you got to have a great thanksgiving day in Africa. :)