6.03.2010

hope reborn

Today I was reminded of why I am here. Why I do what I do.

Today we celebrated three ladies who were once wet from a fistula, now healed and dry!! They were decked out in their beautiful and colorful new dress and headresses, complete with make-up and earrings. Their joy was overflowing and their beauty a shining.

We sang and clapped. They shared their stories and danced with thanksgiving.

One woman had been leaking for 25 years!! She expressed how thankful she is to God and everyone here. Another expressed how she is now sure that God exists. And the other,well, she is so happy that she can't wait to see her husband! :-)

Yes, today I witnessed joy. I saw hope reborn.

Using the words we sang today... He is the great Healer. And He is good!


For those interested in learning more about vesico-vaginal fistulas, I highly recommend the book Hospital by the River written by Catherine Hamlin, co-founder of the first fistula hospital in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I also strongly recommend A Walk to Beautiful, a moving film documentary that follows the journey of several women to the fistula hospital in Ethiopia. There is an incredible need for maternal health, and maternal health education. Please read and see.

Oh, how I have missed these ladies.

(pics to come) :-)

2 comments:

More Dorrs said...

Thank you for this! My heart is breaking for the mothers of Africa, and it is so great to hear the stories of hope and renewal!

beka

p.s. saw this today and thought of you: http://maternalhealthtaskforce.org/discuss/wpblog/2010/06/03/midwives-meet-in-benin-to-discuss-their-role-in-fistula-prevention-and-treatment-a-look-at-catheters-to-treat-new-fistula-cases/

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your kind words about A Walk to Beautiful. For more information or to purchase the full length DVD, please visit: walktobeautiful.com