5.17.2010

Foatgina's story of God's provision

I knew we were in for a full week when I looked ahead at the surgery schedule and saw the type of surgeries to come. Three neurosurgeons operating in the same week. For all you medical personnel, enough said, right? :-)

Repair of hydrocephalus with shunt. Repair of encephalocele. Orbital repositioning. Afi's tumor (see prior post Afi's hope). And then there's Foatgina all in the mix.

Foatgina. She first came to us back in April for excision of multiple very LARGE tumors from behind one ear all the way down and across to the other ear, literally!! Her surgery was soon canceled because she was found to be pregnant. Surgery would be held until the second trimester. We sent her to the Hospitality Center with the understanding that she would get her surgery despite her pregnancy. More waiting.

When the time came for her to return, waiting turned into more waiting until we could evaluate the safety of the baby and placenta for anesthesia (risk for preterm labor). This would be a very big and complicated surgery. Waiting once again.

Foatgina's doubts that we would ever do her surgery escalated. We had to do her surgery. We couldn't send her away with the risk that she could end the unborn life inside, or her own. At this point, lots of prayers were being offered up on her behalf. Please dear God, make it possible. May life prevail.

Last week our gifted and skilled surgeons performed her surgery. Twelve plus hours and eighteen units of blood later, she arrived into the ICU!! Yes eighteen units of blood--thirteen donated by our crew, and five units from the local hospital! This was an act of God and His provision in so many ways! Many pages were announced overhead for donors ASAP or they would not be able to complete her surgery. The majority of the tumors were removed. Two were left on one side because their removal would have required twelve more units of blood! She is a walking miracle!!

The next day, I think (its all meshing together in my head:-), we had the one other ICU bed reserved for another patient currently in the OR. Things didn't go quite as planned. One of the eye patients stopped breathing on the table and was immediately sent to ICU. We quickly made space for the third bed. It was tight. And we were full. She lasted exactly twenty-four hours before she passed away :-( Needless to say, it was a challenging and intense day.

It was a full week as we juggled patients in and out of the ICU most of the week. But, I must mention how amazing our nurses were!! I couldn't have done it without each one of them! I am so proud of them. They stepped in and beyond and pulled together helping each other and coming in from other wards to help, as well as coming in early or staying late. We have an incredible nursing team! I am so blessed to work with them.

It has taken me a week to fully process all the emotions, and then sit down and record the events. Hence, my absence. But, we're back! :-)

I also want to mention that God's timing was perfect when He provided an opportunity at the start of the week to go to the Team's house for worship on the rooftop. I'm so glad I did. The Lord knew what was ahead, and knew that I would need that precious time. My soul was refreshed, encouraged, and filled up as my heart sang songs to Him--all on a rooftop with the stars shining above; smelling and hearing the sights and smells unique to this land that my heart has grown to love.

Come what may. My Jehovah-Jireh will provide.

No comments: