4.01.2010

tough things

Monday was rough...

Little Ani, who we plumped up last year in Benin and repaired her lip, returned to the ship a week or so ago a very different baby from when she left. She was sick and very underweight. She wasn't feeding and lost a lot of weight. On Monday she aspirated and couldn't clear her airway. Our excellent emergency response team here on board did everything they could.

She went home to Jesus.

It was a blow, especially for those of us that have cared for her and loved on her from the very beginning. We are mourning her. We hurt for her mama who grew to love this angel and tenderly cared for her. This is not the first baby she has lost. Please pray for her. Ani was going to be a big sister in a few months.

That evening I came down to the ward to visit Ani's mama because I hadn't seen her since Ani passed away. They looked very busy on the ward. The charge nurse told me that one of the patients in the other ward was getting a central line placed any minute because they couldn't draw any blood, and they just got a new patient who was admitted for a blood transfusion. Instinct pushed me to stay and help.

My visit turned into a long day.

During the line insertion the patient ended up declining respiratory-wise, as she had a very fragile airway to begin with due to her underlying condition, and was immediately sent to ICU. This made for a very exciting and busy evening, and a stretch to a day that was already exhausting to say the least. Admist all the bustle, I missed seeing Ani's mama before she left.

On top of all that, we've had a patient from last year back with us who has become terminal. He is dying. Its a matter of time. This has been extra taxing on all those involved in his care over the last few weeks.

Today on my ward a patient is near the end of her 6+ hour surgery to remove her enormous facial tumor as I write this. She received three units of blood pre-op and three to four units in the OR. She will require some extra care and attention when she comes back to the ward.

This week I have also learned of some very ugly and upsetting things regarding family dynamics at home with a couple of our patients.

A few of our nurses are out sick.

...Its a little heavy down on Deck 3.

Please pray for the nursing staff. For health. For rest. For peace of heart. Yet our sorrow is less than these...Please pray for Ani's family. For the ICU patient and her devoted husband. And for the patient who is holding on.

Thank you. We have an extra long weekend ahead of us due to the Easter holiday. Tim and I are going away next-door to Ghana for a few days.

It is good.

He gives and takes away; my heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your Name.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On my knees and oh so sad. It is hard to lose such a precious life but I can sense her smile in the SonShine.
Bless your hearts as nurses - I've walked in your shoes for over 30 years and grieve with you. I will pray for health and healing all around.
Kathy in Bend

abdillas said...

With much love comes much pain...praying for you twin.

Anonymous said...

Your care and patience for these people move me to tears. We will definitely be praying. Thank you for showing Christ love to so many people who wouldn't know it otherwise.

Robyn said...

Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine days like this. Praying with you...

Robyn