12.05.2009

the final jaunt through town

This is our last weekend in Benin.  

My friends, Becca and Allison, and I decided we wanted to spend the day around town, walking the familiar streets. We didn't really care what we did, we just wanted to enjoy the city... all its sights and smells, the sounds, and the people... all the things I've grown to love over the last 10 months. Plus, we wanted to take every advantage to get off the ship, soon we will be sailing and won't be able to. :) I took my camera along because I realized that I didn't have many pictures of town. When Tim and I first arrived here with the ship, we didn't want to take photos right away. We didn't want to give the impression that we were tourists, or that we were exploiting the people and how they lived. Ten months later it still feels a little weird, but I tried to be discreet. 

Our "backyard"-- our view from the dock 

Exiting the port

The city streets--not nearly as much traffic on the weekends :)

The nursery along the road

Vendors and homes off the railroad track

This little girl so excitedly greeted us with hugs when we approached her father's vendor at the market :)

We happened to see this bride and groom as we were leaving the market! I just had to sneak a photo :)







Vendors of any and everything you can possibly need are sold everywhere off the streets! There are no malls :)

A familiar street :)



The "blue lady" or "the mermaid" has become a landmark for the port's location--we often say "turn at the blue lady..."

The street we walk to enter and exit the port

After 5 hours of walking, our feet were DIRTY and sore! :)

No comments: