11.15.2009

new position

These last three weeks have been extra busy for me, transitioning into a new role!! I am now one of two Assistant Ward Supervisors! Let me explain.

Last month there were some unexpected changes in leadership/management, leaving this position vacant. Initially I was not going to apply. I felt inadequate and not sure that I wanted the responsibility. But, I was encouraged to apply. So after much prayer and discussion with Tim, I applied and interviewed, leaving the results up to the Lord.  If He wanted me in this role, He would put me there. I had to trust that His purpose would not be more than I could handle and that it is always attainable. 

Three weeks later, I am still in awe that God has put me in such a place. This is certainly not a role I envisioned or sought after. I believe, however, that God has put me here for such a time as this. I am excited for the personal and professional growth and challenge. Not to mention I am working with a great team of nurses from all over the world who bring such uniqueness and strengths to the wards. Of course I miss having "my own" patients, but in this new role I've come to learn its the nurses that really make the day for me. I am excited about ministering to them under my leadership. 

I am still on the wards, just not taking personal patient assignments. Instead I oversee the wards during the day (patient care, nursing staff, and translators). After report from the night shift, I start my day rounding with the physicians regarding each patient's plan of care.  After I communicate this with each nurse, the rest of the day is spent either on the phone, at the desk, or running from here to there dealing with any issue or question that arises, and coordinating the next day's surgeries and admissions. Because I am still on the wards, I try to help with patient care whenever I can. With constantly changing staff, I enjoy the teaching aspect as well, a part of my job back home that I miss the most. 

Oh, I must not forget the biggest blessing... its schedule. Its weekdays with shared-on call time! Good-bye to nights, evenings, and weekends!  You will not be missed :) Hello to more time with my hubby, a better social life, and early mornings. 

I have slept better in the last weeks than I have in the whole ten months that we've been here! 

May I lead like Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a HUGE answer to prayer! Praise the Lord :o)

Ali C. said...

You do, you know that? You lead like Jesus, and I love watching you. I have a lot to learn from your example. Now start feeling better so we can all go out to dinner! =)