7.15.2009

precious in His sight

Today I got up early on my day off to spend a couple hours playing with children. Not just any, but those without mothers or fathers to care for them. Orphans. And each has a tragic story that brought them there. I've only heard bits... like the one who was found tied to a tree and abandoned. Or another who was with his mother in a taxi. He was told to wait in the car. Mom never returned. Or the baby who was found off the side of the road in a plastic bag. I simply do not understand how anyone could do such things, let alone to the child of their flesh! But I'm not naive to the harsh reality of desperation. I don't know what its like to live in extreme poverty, have the pains of hunger, and too many mouths to feed. I also know this is sadly not unique to Africa alone. 

But let me tell you about this place. This orphanage is different. Although living conditions are far from ideal, it is clean and there is love. I felt a sort-of peace here. The kids play and there is joy. This says a lot about the ladies, "aunties," who pour their lives into these children. This is the first orphanage I've ever visited. It is run by catholic nuns through Missions of Charity (Mother Theresa). These women and the ladies who look after the children genuinely care for them. It is obvious in their interactions with them. Like when they respond to the child who fell down, and all the drippy noses that need wiping. One of the aunties came over to the little child I was holding and changed his wet pants. I hadn't said anything to her. They laugh and coo at the babies. And I can't forget to mention how hard they work! These ladies do it all. They cook the food, wash the children's clothes by hand, dispense the medicine, and look after the children. They are incredible! My hat goes off to them. 

Today, we held the children and marched in circles, singing songs with them. Just being available. An open lap. This is a big deal! Although they are well-cared for and have their basic needs met and receive love and attention, its divided among all the other 50 children/babies (and rightfully so). As such, immediately upon our arrival, pairs of little legs and hands are already climbing up into my arms. My lap was never empty the entire time. We gave many of the children individual attention. 

But, never without a cost. Or so we learned today. 

We are each holding a child in one arm and holding another's hand in the other, marching in a circle and singing with the children. Towards the end of this activity, one of the aunties starts taking each child from our arms, firmly but gently instructing them to walk. Some just sat down and cried. It was quite sad really. We did not understand this. Our translator explained to us this is so that when we leave, it is less difficult on the caretakers. When we hold them for long periods and then leave, the children become more needy, demanding more attention from the ladies. The few of them are not able to simply just hold them all the time like we do when we visit. They also have to cook and clean and wash. It is very difficult for them to do all this when the children are crying, and climbing on them, demanding their attention in such ways. This often happens after groups like us leave. 

It makes sense. Completely. 
I wonder then if we are doing more damage than good by our visits?? 

For lunch, they all go to a big room with two long child-height table and little chairs. They sit down in their chairs and recite a prayer. It is so cute in their sing-song voices.  Each is given a metal bowl of food and a spoon. I am amazed at how well most of these children all compliantly sit at the table and feed themselves. Some, prefer us to feed them because they like the attention :) After meal time, in their daily routine, go straight into the next room and sit on their potties against the wall. It is quite a precious & hilarious picture with all these toddlers sitting on a plastic potty chattering away to each other.  This is when we always wave good-bye, while their preoccupied with potty-time :)

I know not all orphanages are a happy place. This is probably more the exception. But I learned something from these ladies today. Selfless love. They are living out the words of Jesus in Mark 9:37, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me."                                                

Maybe its not for the children why we come, but for those of us who come.  
Perhaps its not because of what we give to the children, but what the aunties give us.

I saw Jesus today

1 comment:

Eric and Wendy Hofman said...

Hi Tim and Hannah! It touches my heart to hear you giving out on the ship during regular hours, and then in your spare time, going to an orphanage to give some more! Thanks for your love toward them.

Hey, I've lost your email address - could you send it to me?

Love, Wendy (and Eric)